To follow up that somewhat negative post, I wanted to share something positive and optimistic. Nobody likes a Negative Nancy! (Side note: I apologize if your name is Nancy, but I do love that saying).
I am blessed to work for the most amazing company ever. My company is small, but growing! In the last two months, we've hired four more people! We specialize in Enterprise Information Management (EIM) strategy and execution. I have a very small grasp of this field. Explaining it would take about four more blog posts. At a conference last month, I made the mistake of saying I was "Just an administrative coordinator" after someone asked me what I do.
What is wrong with this woman? She's asking about stuff that's nobody's business. "What do I do?"... Really, what do I do here? I should've written it down. "Qua" something, uh... qua... quar... quibo, qual...quir-quabity. Quabity assuance! No. No, no, no, no, but I'm getting close.
-Creed, The Office
Apparently, even though I have nothing to do with the consulting aspect, I "take care of absolutely everything." This includes, but is not limited to:
- Billing/invoicing/expense reimbursement
- Coordinating logistics for tradeshows, board meetings, and team working sessions
- New employee on-boarding
- New customer on-boarding
- Write press releases
- Sending annoying emails under the guise of a "gentle reminder"
- and miscellaneous personal assistant tasks for the partner of my company
I really love my job. Aside from the amazing list of endless benefits (I think I listed them before, but Free Lunch Fridays takes the cake), I truly love the people I work with. I look at them as coworkers, friends, and mentors, and I am so thankful to have such wonderful people to associate with.
- These people are experts in their field, but they never make me feel stupid. They are always there to explain things when I have questions.
- They are respectful, professional, kind, caring, funny, and make me feel welcome. I go to them for anything/everything, from advice and guidance to talking trash about sports.
- They genuinely care about my best interests. When I was on the fence about law school, they made pro/con lists and risk vs. reward. All of the senior management called me to discuss my options.
- They're normal. Okay, they are professional sailors and really good golfers, but they have normal lives too. They might drive Audis and BMWs, but they forward me Group-Ons and coupon codes (for Sperry's and Uggs!)
- They're my friends. I can tell you each employee's spouse's name, kids' names, kids' sports, favorite sports teams, etc. They always ask me about my weekend/holiday/vacation plans. I even email some of the wives about The Bachelorette.
- They're funny. They can quote Super Troopers and Friends episodes like its their job.
And I am VERY proud to say -- They asked me to keep working part-time while in law school. They aren't replacing me!!
What do you love about your job? Now's your chance to brag!
Or you can complain about how crappy your job is - we've all been there before too!